Sunday, March 23, 2014

History in the Making


This is a picture of the result, but what did it take to get there?

A lot of hard work and perseverance.

Lindenwood Synchronized Swimming is now the Collegiate National Champions! We swept first in all the routine events (Solo, Duet, Trio, and Team) and as you can tell from the picture, we're all super excited. In this picture is 3 amazing coaches, and 20 extremely hard working girls. Not shown, are 3 of our teammates who cheered us on from Lindenwood campus and are just as much a part of this victory as the girls who are seen above. 

This weekend, LU History was made.We pushed limits and aimed for a goal that 6 years ago could not have been dreamed of.
The Collegiate National Title.

So how did we make it? This is how.
First off the wall routine: Usher

Reem, Laia and Aly busted out an amazing medley of Usher songs with an EXTREME amount of Energy. These girls make me smile every day, and they're just the kind of crazy to be able to pull off this routine. Synchronized Swimming likes that "classical" or "movie" music. Simple. No words, an easy melody...Usher is definitely not what was expected. They entertained like they were holding their own concert. What an amazing thing to watch.
Next up: Fall of Rome


Caroline, Hannah and McKinzie are three girls who, against different practice schedules and hardly any full runs, came together for a performance. The music was more "synchro" but they made it their own. They're such amazing girls and I'm so proud to call them my friends and teammates. I love these girls to death and they did an amazing job.
Three depicting seven: Deadly Sins
Myself, Dennise and Anouk pulled together a routine to depict all Seven of the Deadly Sins in a 3 minute block of time. Difficult, but possible. There have been many times I couldn't have survived practice without these two. Momma Killman made some gorgeous suits for us to rock while we swam, and we made that routine ours. I never wanted a Trio, but this routine and these girls have made me appreciate and even, dare I say it, love swimming trio. All of our work was paid off with a Gold Medal in the Trio event! Love you girls!!
 Duet Time: The Game Has Changed/Mirrors
Reem and I came together as one for a duet that literally depicted an internal struggle. Call it Mirrors, mention how some of the music is from Tron, but the Game definitely changed when we took to the pool. Our walkout was mirrored, and directly next to each other, which is never done in the Synchro community. Then with one or the other acting as a reflection of the other, we swam our way to 1st with energy. Gotta love ya Reem. We worked hard for this, and I'm so happy it paid off. I definitely couldn't have done it without you!
The one that made them Cry: Daniela
I don't think there was a dry eye in the entire arena after this girl swam. Daniela swims with a passion and love of the sport that can be matched by no one. Two years ago, she couldn't speak a word of English. Today she's one of my greatest friends and one of the hardest workers I know.

                                                                     Feeling Good: Me
I swam to a dubsteb version (Yes, I said dubstep! There's a jump away from traditional Synchro...) of "Feeling Good" by Nina Simone. My favorite compliment, was that my swim was the reason someone actually LIKED watching solos! Sometimes they can be boring, it is SYNCHRONIZED swimming after all. How do you synchronize by yourself? You'd be surprised. Thank you to EVERYONE who helped me earn a 90 in score to take 1st place.
The Jungle: "Be the Tiger"
Regardless on if we're Lions or not, one of the freshman said this before the routine swam. It just shows the personality of this team. Hannah, Caroline, Carmen, Kirsten, Emily, Kelli, Simona, and Nathalia, you girls are a class act with personalities to match. Great job embracing your animals and truly bringing The Jungle to Life.
Out of this world: Aliens

Who would've thought that Kanye West and Beyonce could be Alien themed? We did. And that's what makes yall special. Anouk, Reem, Dennise, McKinzie, Aly, Irene, Laia and Amanda are a group of girls that can make anything seem the way they want it. Y'all are definitely a group of performers if I've ever seen them. Congratulations on your 1st place placing by just that much. Aly, MVP for sure. For those who want to know why, watch the video. First Lift. I've never heard people cheer so loudly for a team.

Our team had a set of goals and we were going to reach them. From my experience here at Lindenwood, I've learned that sometimes it takes going against what is the "norm" to set higher standards.

I'm so Proud of my Lady Lion teammates. Congratulations girls!

--Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment