Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Welcome Back



Happy New Year Everyone! In light of all the resolutions I'm sure have been made and have started, I've decided to make one of my own. To pick up my blog again! I miss receiving questions and comments from readers who followed my Olympic Journey and I have had quite a few requests to bring it back. So,  Here's to attempting the blog once again. It will be weekly, or maybe biweekly since I am a full time student, but I will do my best! For those of you who kept up with my blog during my journey to and through the Olympic Games, you will see it has been revamped a bit. For those who have never read my blog, welcome! I plan on using this to keep everyone who is interested updated! So I guess I should start from after the Olympic Games right? I'll try to keep it short and sweet. :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Closely following the Olympic Games I left Indiana and headed home. My parents were living in Oklahoma at the time, and I couldn't wait to see my family. After a good vacation, I spent a few weeks at home and debated retiring from Synchronized Swimming. (Don't worry, I didn't!) I had reached a goal that few could even dream of, and it was time for college. A few years ago I had mentioned I never wanted to do Synchro in college. I couldn't understand how an athlete could go from the "Olympic Level" to the "Collegiate Level".

I was looking into schools around home such as OU where my father attended college, or maybe even Texas A&M or UT so that I could return to being a Texan. However, I was told to simply think, and consider collegiate synchro. One school in particular stood out: Lindenwood University.

Where is that you ask? Missouri. Probably one of the furthest places from Texas that I could get. Fortunately for me I knew a few of the girls attending the school currently thanks to Synchronized Swimming being a fairly small world. The decision was almost made for me. I knew where I was going to college. Time to pack up and move once again!

After an 8 hour drive in my extremely packed car, I made it. I was in front of the place where I will spend the next 4 years of my life working towards a degree. During my Freshman Year I was not only introduced to an entirely new lifestyle, but an entirely new way of thinking. Not only did I have to balance my classes and my homework, I had to balance a sport as well. Heaven forbid I attempt to have a social life. It was a rough beginning, but luckily for my I learn quickly, and I had an amazing support system in my teammates and my coach.

Lori Eaton is the Head Coach at Lindenwood University, and I couldn't be happier. Last year, I not only made new friends inside and outside of the pool, I fell in love with the sport all over again. Synchronized Swimming is where I can de-stress from the world and simply perform. It's a place where I can use my artistry to choreograph routines and work hard towards something I know will be worth it. Thanks to all of our hard work and dedication, Lindenwood placed 3rd at our Collegiate Championships overall, and I won a National Title in my Solo!

Speaking of National Titles...I earned another a few weeks later at our U.S. Nationals which included not only college teams, but club teams as well. Having been on both sides of the coin now, I understand why the sport is so hard to understand. We spend countless hours rehearsing something that only takes 3 minutes of our life to perform. Yet, it's one of the most important things in our lives. It's amazing.

After my first year at Lindenwood, I continued with my coach Lori and trained in Aruba for the summer in order to compete for the US as a soloist at the University Games in Russia, and the World Championships in Spain. It's amazing how similar the world stage is to my own school. I knew there was a reason I felt right at home on the LU campus. Russia's team here, Japan's team there, Brazil on deck, Switzerland in the water...it's a meeting point for all the countries to meet at one scene. It's the same at school, I can't tell you how many international students I've become the greatest of friends with.

-------------------------------------

Well, a small history lesson on how I got to where I am today, I'll be entering into my second semester as a Sophomore at Lindenwood University, and our collegiate season will be in full swing from now until April. Get ready for a crazy ride...I am.
I want to leave this first (of hopefully many) blog post with a video. An Inspiration video that has been out there for some time, but has recently been recovered and has been spread around our team. This is what it means to be an athlete. This is what it means to strive. This is what it means to work.


Leave me a message, a comment or an e-mail and I'll answer any questions you may have at that time!

Also, check out my website: www.marykillman.com
It also has been revamped and updated!

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment