Monday, June 1, 2015

Back to the beginning

So for those who have wondered where I went, I've returned to represent USA at the Pan American Games and World Championships this summer! College has been crazy, and next semester I will be going into my Senior year. Oh how time flies. 

Speaking of time flying, its been requested that I write a blog post on how I got started in synchro. The real story. What made me fall in love with the sport? How did I choose to move to California for it? Did my parents always support my decision? What about how I've been treated as an athlete?

Well my friends, here we go. It's gonna be nice to take a walk down memory lane...

Unlike rumors, I did not start synchro from inside the womb. Although I'm sure my mother would disagree (Sorry Mom!) but I've been a swimmer my entire life. Everyone has heard the story of how my friend (and ironically first duet partner) Claire Evans took me to a summer try out session and I fell in love with the sport. It was pretty, it was powerful, and I could listen to music while doing stuff instead of just swimming up and down the lanes for a specific time goal. 

However, what most don't know (but probably assumed) is that I had always thought I was a mermaid. Ask almost any synchro swimmer, and THAT is why they stay with the sport. It's literally the closest thing you can get to being a real life mermaid and not give up your voice to walk on land. 

Thank you Ariel reference. The little Mermaid was a childhood favorite...after Aladdin. But that's besides the point. 

California was not one of my first decisions, as for the first 4 years of my career, I did both competitive swimming and synchronized swimming. The worlds were SUPER different and I loved them both in so many ways. When it came to what I needed to do to continue forward, I had to make a decision. Give up swimming and move California to train with what I believed was the best team in the country, or give up synchro and stay in Texas with the fastest times around. 

Then it came down to which I was better at. I could continuously be 2nd in the state of Texas, or 1st in the Country. Looking at it that way, the answer was simple. Note I said simple, not easy. 

I'm sure it was hard on my parents. They dropped everything and moved with me to California to support me, and I doubt it was their first idea of the type of world for their daughter to grow up in. I have to say though, I would not be able to be where I am today without them. It was a tough time transitioning from 2 hours every other day in Texas, to 6 hours EVERY day in California. Talk about a tired 14 year old girl coming home in tears because all she wanted to do was sleep. 

I also have my parents to thank for putting up with the drama I would bring home everyday. From normal girl drama, to coach issues, to simply being annoyed and exhausted...Seriously. Thank you. 

Being an athlete isn't always all glam and glory either. It's hard work and dedication. It's fun at practice and stressful at the same time. You have to balance sleep, and what to eat, and when to stretch, and take care of sore/injured muscles, and still spend time with your family. You do get used to it, but the initial transition can be a struggle, and some don't realize that our response of "I'm just tired..." when asked to go to a movie isn't is blowing you off, it really just means we can barely keep our eyes open and probably wouldn't be much fun anyways 😆

So from here, I'm on the plane to Pan Ams, and the Summer of travel and competitions begin. Representing the United States is a dream come true for any athlete, and I'm glad I get to wear the Red, White, and Blue. 

Until next time! Don't worry, the summer shall be FULL of posts...as long as I remember hahaha 

--Mary
 

No comments:

Post a Comment