Sunday, July 1, 2012

Homeward bound



Mariya and I at the Spanish Open; Tech Duet

Well all, Swiss Open is Officially done. It's been a long two weeks, but we survived! Our performances were much better at this competition. There are still some kinks to work out, but there always will be! Aiming for a perfect 10 isn't easy!

My last post was right before we competed in Tech Duet, and I think we did well! With a few changes here and there, our routine is coming together quite nicely. Aretha Franklin would be proud! We managed to position ourselves in first right from the start, so we were happy with how it turned out.

The two days following Tech Duet were practice days. I think it finally hit me how much I need to learn a foreign language during this time. I always feel so bad that I only speak English, and all these other countries have to speak English as a SECOND language! In Geneva, everyone speaks French. Mariya gets to practice the French she studies at school, while I stand and smile wondering what is actually being said. The people have been truly amazing and I can't believe how much support they give to all the athletes from ALL the countries! Mariya being Russian helps too, she was always speaking to coaches who were originally from Russia, even other athletes like those from Kazakhstan!  It all sounds like gibberish to me, but it's still cool. I think I need to take Spanish again...or Italian! I've always loved how that language sounded...
Anyways! Back on subject, the competition! We had music time during these two days, to be able to try and perfect our free routine even more. The days started out stretching outside the hotel (we got some interesting looks from the locals, let me tell ya) and then walking to the Tram, to get our scenic river walk.

We walked on the right side, into those trees

Past this creepy looking dude, reppin 2012!

Not your best look man...haha That's just a bit of what we saw on our walk to the pool! There was more a bit further along of the Joker, a masked person with piercing brown eyes, even a polar bear and some penguins! I think they were drawn better with spray paint and a wall than I could do with a pencil and paper...and hours of practice! 

After two days of practice and small amounts of relaxation, it was time Free Duet. This morning we woke up at a bright and early 6:30. After a few alarms went off, we finally began the knoxing, headpieces and make-up process. Then headed to the pool. We had a good swim in Free with our new routine. I love how much feedback we get about our music. It's specially made for us and no one else could possibly have it! (unless you count ode to joy...I guess someone else COULD have that piece since it's well known) Anyways, after our swim we found out we ended in first!

Gold!

Gold medals! Exciting! After awards, the Swiss Open held a "Show of Winners" where the top countries in each event basically swam their routines again. We re-swam our Tech Duet, tag team style. Both together for the first lap, I swam a solo version for the second lap, Mariya swam a solo version for the last lap, and I rejoined her for the last strokes and last hybrid of our routine. The crowd even started clapping with our upbeat music! Thanks again to Aretha's "Think" for getting the audience involved. That was the idea! 


Over all it's been a great learning experience. I love Europe, I love Spain, I love Switzerland, but I miss the good ol' US of A and as much as I've enjoyed the last two weeks, I can't wait to be home!
Unfortunately that means a 5:30 bus to the airport...ah well. The life of an Elite Jet-setting Athlete. It's a hard knock life huh? haha! Until next time!

--Mary
P.s. Who knew you could eat awesome Sushi in Switzerland? Go figure.


Minus the Shrimp already removed before this picture of course...dang allergies!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures in your blog!!

    Thank you for the reply! And I think you have more than "a fan", come on. lol But be sure to count me in when the tally starts rolling more aggressively during the games.

    Question, when will you be moving into the "Olympic Village" and what is it like being an Olympian? I can't imagine how cool that is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete