Saturday, August 4, 2012

Olympic Day 11

Unfortunately I don't have much time to write tonight. We compete in our Technical Duet even tomorrow, and I need my sleep! We're up first so we're going to be opening the Synchronized Swimming portion of the Olympic Games with what we hope is a show stopping routine! It's going to be upbeat, and amazing! So all yall USA supporters out there better be chanting when we walk out on deck!

I just opened a letter that I wrote to myself a while back. And as lame as it seems, it's actually really great. I remember writing it and thinking "This is ridiculous. I'm giving my future self a pep-talk!" But honestly, it's exactly what I needed. It also had a great quote in there:

"You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win"
-Zig Ziglar


I haven't the slightest idea who that is, but it's words I'm taking to heart. Always see yourself standing on the podium, because the moment you think you can't make it...you never will. On another note of Quotes, just because I'm in the mood right now, Denise (our awesome manager remember?!) wrote Mariya and I a card for every day that we're here. I forgot about the one yesterday, but they both have great quotes in them. She knows how much inspiration we need to be able to swim our best tomorrow:

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." 
-Darryl Royal

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

I like quotes! Although I have to say my favorite is still:

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."
-Vivian Greene


It is now time for me to head to sleep. However, if you follow me on twitter @marykillman you can keep up with me between practices tomorrow! I'll be at the pool bright and early, as my alarm is going off at 5:45. What is it with water athletics and early mornings hmm? Anyone have an answer?


Speaking of questions, I do have to answer a few:

To Krista, no I don't compete with a nose clip! Weird I know, maybe I'll post a picture of how I plug my nose, but you'll have to promise no laughing...actually don't promise that. It's impossible not to laugh at the funny face I make underwater haha! It's glorious above water though, you can breathe better AND you look better in action shots lol

My dear old teammate, Kelly, yes Ryan Lochte is as attractive in person as he is in pictures, and yes I have met Micheal Phelps. 22 Olympic Medals! Way to go Micheal!

As much as I would love to say I know all of the Olympic Athletes Jenni, I don't even know all of the USA delegation athletes. There's over 500 of us! I can't even imagine how many athletes from other countries there are walking around the Olympic Village every day!

Mary, we share a name, this is awesome. Haha, but to answer your question, no props are allowed in Synchro. There is one competition that the Sport holds once a year that allows props and all artistic talent to be set loose, we do try to keep Synchronized Swimming as athletic as it can be. Yes, we wear a lot of glitter, and crazy make-up, but it's hard what we do! And we wouldn't want to give too much of a cirque impression unless we are actually working for Cirque Du Solei. :)


That's all for today, sorry for no pictures, but you'll get plenty tomorrow. :) Wish Mariya and I luck and make sure to tune into  NBC Olympic Live Online Coverage! We swim at 3pm London time, so 10am Eastern, 7am West Coast! We're first draw so don't miss the beginning!!

--Mary

4 comments:

  1. Omg, you met Michael Phelps?!? Did you get his autograph?? Did you tell him your sis in law is his biggest fan? ;) jk. I'm so excited about tomorrow. Good luck and we will be cheering very loudly for you. ((hug)) You're going to be brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fellow Texans, that's 9:00 AM tomorrow online!!
    Here's a quote for you. "A person's attitude, effort, and commitment provide the power and passion that makes unique and special things happen." ~Jill Sterkel, former Head Coach, University of Texas Women's Swimming and 4 time Olympian and Gold Medalist.
    Go and get it Mary! You've already made us all very proud and just know now that you have an army of family, friends and fans who will be waking up their neighbors tomorrow morning with our cheers as you and Mariya hit the water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my daughter: Good luck Mary! I am a synchro swimmer too and all my team will cheer you on from the moment you walk on deck. I figured out a name for your tiger! Kudos! I won a gold medal at the California State Games (Novice Solo 9-10)so you and Mariya can win one too!!! GO USA!!!! Love-Gabby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha... Mary, I taught my classmates how to make the noseclip face when we were in Europe this spring. I can't wait to show them your picture! Love you, Mary-- I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete