Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Olympic Day 8

I'd just like to start by saying that the Olympic Games haven't left my TV screen since we've been in Dublin. I've enjoyed watching Swimming the most I think, not only is it my old sport, but it's also the pool that Mariya and I are going to be competing in soon!!! How exciting!

It's the first day of August. We compete the 5th. I can wait until we get to the village, though I do have to say I could've waited until after 4:30 to wake up tomorrow morning...We have a REALLY early flight, then two practices once we get to London! Gonna be a full day, and I'm planning on going to sleep immediately after I finish this post. (Well, I do need to call my parents first...I'm glad they're coming to watch the Games!)
Our last day in Ireland really wasn't all that special, though we did get to sleep in this morning. That is if you can call 8am sleeping in. If you're an athlete, it TOTALLY IS!!! :D

When we get back to London, it's game on. We're going to have to give it our all for the next few days. The competition is going to come on us quickly, and I can't wait to be back in the competitive atmosphere! I feed off of the energy and it's actually where I feel the most comfortable. It can't get here fast enough!

Today, and a few days early, we celebrated Holly's birthday! She's our trainer, who has kept us together and in one piece every day. Seriously, I think I my hands would have been killing me after all the muscles she's had to massage out. 

   


She may shoot me (not really of course haha) for posting this photo, but I think it's needed. :)


Also, I know there haven't been many pictures this post, but I do have some questions to answer!!! Here goes nothing:
Do you and Mariya do exactly the same thing 100% of the time in your routines, or does Cate have to learn separate parts? And when there are alternates for a team competition, do those alternates have to learn every single person's part of the routine in case any single one of them are unable to compete? 
Short answer, alternates have to learn everyone's position! In our tech routine, Mariya and i do the same thing the entire time, as required in the ruling. In our free routine however, we have lifts, and partner sections, and things where we're doing COMPLETELY different things! Cate has to be prepared in case (God forbid) something happens to either one of us. Alternates in a team work the same way, normally a team of 8 has 2 alternates. Both of these girls MUST know everyone's position. In free routines this gets a little insane with people flying off lifts and certain people having certain things they HAVE to do. I would honestly say being an alternate is the hardest position in Synchronized Swimming.

What's the hardest thing you have to do in Synchro?Honestly, everything is hard! haha There are moves like a spin, where both feet are in the air and we're spinning rapidly, that are difficult. Doing things like that at the end of the routine, is difficult. Then doing it when you're muscles are aching, your lungs are screaming, all with a smile on your face...there's hard for ya.


Alright, one last thing before I sign off for the night.
I would like to give a shout out to Denise Shively (our AWESOME manager) who tirelessly hangs around at the pool all day, goes and makes sure we have water and food almost at all times, and is an amazing mom-like figure for us to have around. Unfortunately she isn't going to be able to be with us in London, so after we are all sent off to London, she will be making her way back to the states to watch us compete from a TV screen. Wish she could be there! I can't imagine how I would've gotten this far without her at some of our competitions. She's a great manager, and an even better stand in Mom for us. I definitely need my share of Momma Shively hugs. Her children are so lucky!
Speaking of moms, can't wait to see mine. :)

--Mary

P.s. Keep the questions coming! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have! 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thanks for answering my stupid questions. Glad you had a fun time in Ireland... 3 1/2 more days until I get to see you compete! :D

    ReplyDelete