Sunday, January 12, 2014

Perspective


So last week I was (finally) heading back to snowy St. Louis. I was lucky enough to fly on a day when there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Literally. I'm not kidding! We all know that gorgeous day where it's absolutely freezing, after all it was 14 degrees outside for the high, but the sun is shining and the sky is such a color blue that you could imagine fairies dancing in the distance…yeah, that kind.

                                                 
That was taken out of my window on the plane. I know what you're thinking, "There really are fairies dancing!"

Well.

At least I can pretend that's what is going through your heads…

But honestly. This was the view the entire time. For the next hour and a half I never lost sight of the ground and that's what got me thinking…everything is about perspective.

From over 10,000 feet in the air, even an eighteen wheel semi-truck can seem smaller than an ant. However when you stand next to one on the ground it almost seems as if it could house the skeleton of a fully grown T-Rex. (Or a live one…you never know with the science of today. Who KNOWS what they could be doing?!) Flying with the eye of an eagle who hitched a ride on a rocket, really is eye opening if you really think about it.

Next to you sit tens of people who are on their prospective journeys through life to different areas of not only the state, not even the country, but the globe! Some are headed home, some are going to Dubai for a business deal, some are traveling for a grand vacation in Hawaii. There was even a couple on their honeymoon trip to Sweden. (They must've been snow bunnies…Personally I'd rather follow the people to Hawaii!)

On the ground, however, are tens of THOUSANDS of people. Each possibly on the same path as those on the airplane. On their way home, to work, to their vacation home, some may even be on their honeymoon.

The question really is…do we even think of these thinks? Most are only concerned with their lives. Only concerned with their problems If people took a little time out of their day to enjoy the scenery, maybe there would be more happiness in the world. Just maybe, if we each took the time very day (or even every other!) to find a small way to step outside of our personal bubbles and truly see the world around us, we could worry less. We could worry less about where we are going and more on how we're going to get there. We can even be thankful that we are able to enjoy the journey when so many others cannot.

Or maybe I'm making things up in my mind and really all I saw was a pretty view through the glass while in my American Airlines window seat. I guess that's for you to decide.

Until next time! Feel free to drop a comment below and tell me what you would like to hear about! (Otherwise you'll continue to get the rambling of my life…unless you like that sort of thing. J )

--Mary 

No comments:

Post a Comment