Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Weekend!

Well, nothing all that spectacular happened this weekend, but I promised I'd keep everyone updated! We had practice on Saturday from 9-1. We like to call Saturday's our "short" days. Although by that point of the week, I forget how long those 4 hours can be. We swim at Ben Davis highschool and it was so sweet, when we got out of the water one of the lifeguards complimented us. She said working on Saturday's is always her favorite shift because she gets to watch us practice for a few hours. It's amazing to me how little we appreciate how hard our sport is sometimes. I'm glad other people see the amount of effort we put in!

On another fun note a few of my teammates and I went to an Exhibition that the Indy Synchro girls were putting on. It lasted around 2 hours but was really fun! These girls have worked so hard and all their hard work is paying off. They showed us all of their routines, back to back. (If you've ever done synchro you understand how CRAZY hard this is) As well, they debuted their Combination routine for the crowd! They had only swam through the entire routine since the week before. I was really impressed with everything. Their smiles are all so big!
There were some intermediate and Novice athletes there as well. Some girls who just 6 months ago was TERRIFIED of the water! She couldn't swim at all, and today she was swimming in 17 feet of water with no problem at all. Just goes to show you that great things can come if you just put your mind to it. There's so much potential there, I hope they continue with the sport.
Also, there were two masters swimmers who showed off their routines as well. The soloist swam to Katy Perry's "E.T." and it just makes me happy to watch her swim. No, their routines are not Olympic caliber, but the smiles on their faces are. It's pure enjoyment of the sport and these woman have traveled all over the world for their competitions! Synchronized Swimming is a sport you can do for YEARS if you have the passion for it.

Seeing 3 very different levels of Synchro in one place made me think. There are so many people who LOVE the sport, and I can't imagine the amount of people giving us support day in and day out. We can do everything we can in the water, but without people supporting us we couldn't have gotten as far as we have. Just a shout out to everyone who's ever been there for me, and those who have continued to play a huge role in my life. Thank you so much!!!

More to come soon! We leave for New York on Tuesday, can't wait to see what they have in store for us! :)

1 comment:

  1. How long will you be in NYC Mary? I'd love to see you and give you a hug before the Olympics!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete